Wednesday, July 25, 2007

NUE Race #4 report

I have to admit that the Breck 100 will be the hardest NUE series race of the year. The attrition rate was very high and I almost quit, too. I don't know what happened but on the second loop I missed a turn and just kept riding and riding until I realized that I knew it couldn't be the right place - no marking, arrows or anything. Must have been at least 2 miles out. It was hard to get my head back together but I did. When you make mistakes at altitude, and after pushing it so hard on all those climbs, you really loose motivation.



So I got back on the Colorado single track trail and found out I lost 5 or 6 places once I got to the checkpoint. With the volunteers and the Cannondale rep Matt Ohran encouraging me - I kept on. BTW - he said he got lost at the same spot! So just to let you know - major thank you to everyone! Well, 5 riders were ahead of me and I tried to bounce back with a better attitude. Got some fresh water bottles, adjusted my seat, lubed my chain - and I left on the final 37 miles of the race with a mission. I caught 2nd but he had more in the tank than me so I finished 3rd overall. I was happy about it! Congrats to everyone that did finish and especially to Josh Tostado. He was on fire and had a great race in his home town.



The race was great - the place was super beautiful - and it was good to see everyone out there. I'll be back next year for sure!






I raced my newest bike for 2007 - the Taurine carbon Team Replica . It was the first time I raced a hardtail in 4 or 5 years. IT WAS SA-WEEEEEEET!!!!! It just flew up the hills and was super comfortable. I decked it out with all the good stuff, too. Kenda tires, Stan's wheels & rotors, Crankbrothers pedals, Magura brakes (they come in red and look great!), USE bars, skewers, cage, etc., Fizik saddle. This is the lightest bike I've ever ridden. Some of the sections on the course where it was 'hike a bike' it felt like I was hardly lifting anything. I think Joshua weighs more than the bike! Here is is ready for the race:





Check out Cyclingnews.com story: Breckenridge 100 race report









PS - Check out the paint job on my Uvex helmet in the photo! Many thanks to Nick Tsokalas for painting it for me. It turned out great and I love it.





Oh and can't forget to post the latest photo of me and my boy...

Keep it sideways
Tinker

2 comments:

Frank Brigandi said...

Yeah,
Hardtails are still a dangerous weapon of choice for XC racing. After, we did go fast on them when that's all there was. I feel that they climb better.
Wait until you give a 29er a shake Tinker, it's an entirely new world. That's all I ride now.
Isn't being a dad great....

Matt said...

Nice meeting you after the race, Tinker and good taling with you. Thx for the shoes again.

Matt