Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Coolest 24 Hour Wrap Up

The event was all for a great cause and it was really great to be able to be a part of it for the first time. This is definitely a worthy cause and northern CA has some of the best riding in the US but what happened with the weather was something we couldn't have any say so about. If I had to fly, it would have been a disaster, but we took the camper and that made it. Plus, Pico of the Hub Cycles was there wrenching for me - I do not know how to thank him enough. The promoter of the race said that in her 25 years of promoting races, she has never seen something so bad. They stopped the race 2 hours short of 24 hours - it was just a big wet muddy mess and I think everyone was relieved. I was determined to do what it took to get the job done. I had to make up for what I think was not stellar performance early this year, plus this is one of 4 races in the series and the man with the most miles wins the scooter.

Pico is a guy that has been around a long time and worked a lot on downhill bikes and the riders. I was very lucky to have an experienced mechanic that worked hard and did what had to be done. He worked with some of the best downhill riders in the world and I am honored to have had the opportunity to work with him, too. Thanks Pico! I could not have been able to finish this race without you. Can't forget Ed and Mom. Of course, Mom is Mom and she knows what to do and always is happy to get the job done. Ed is an excellent mechanic, too, but as my long time friend, he knows me and is always on top of what I needed. He even drove the whole way there and back. I couldn't have asked for a better support team.

In the end, I finally turned things around, considering it rained from the start to the end. These kind of races really wear on a person and especially the bike. Thank God I brought 2 bikes, so I was able to swap them out. The Cannondale Taurine rocked and stayed light weight and the Scalpel was a nice steady comfortable cruise. Pico kept them clean and even had to swap the entire brake system out at one point. Awesome. Oh and I want to thank all my sponsors - I cannot say enough how much I appreciate your support - and you are the perfect mix. I rode the Kenda Karmas on the Stan's ZTR 7000 Race Wheels for the Lefty. I refueld with Honey Stinger bars, gels, and chews , Mom's burritos, Terri's pasta, and MonaVie. The Tifosi's kept the mud out of my eyes! ODI grips are without a doubt the best on the market. They stay put and make it so easy to maneuver in any condition. My Crankbrothers pedals are the best! I will be trying out the latest model soon, so I'll let you know how they are. If I missed anyone, please forgive me, but I want everyone to know how much my sponsors mean to me - all of them. Thank you thank you thank you...

Here are a few photos from bicyclingevents.com and my friend Ed.








All the little signs posted along the road here are photos of people that had cancer. This was "Memory Lane". I remember one photo of a woman that was pregnant One guy told me two of the photos at the top of the hill were his family. What do you say in response to that? Damn, I'm so sorry. All the cheerful faces definitely kept people going.
Thanks to all the competitors, promoters, and spectators that kept us going. It was so amazing to see such happy people despite such tough conditions.
Peace,
Tinker

Photo Credits: Brian Joder - bicyclingevents.com




























Photo Credits: Ed Kocina - Premier Tank, Inc.





2 comments:

Mike said...

What a messy ride!!! Nice job on the finish though! You ROCK!!!

I also liked your article on what you eat in MBA this month! Everyone else was like power gel this and sport block that while you were talking about breakfast burritos and diet coke! Love it! Take care and good luck on your upcoming events!

Sam said...

Way to go, Tinker - you continue to inspire me and many other riders!