Thursday, May 21, 2009

In fond memory of Steve Larsen

One thing I shall never get used to is the news of a fellow cyclist passing away. When I read the news about Steve, it really got to me. This guy was a great competitor and challenged me and brought out the best in me. I worked my tail off to compete with him and for that challenge, he put high marks on my career. When he was racing mountain bikes he was one of the toughest competitors that I really had to focus on to beat.



I am really just sad to know that somebody that was such an inspiration to mountain biking had to leave so soon leaving behind his family. I saw Steve in Vegas last year. He was so upbeat and talkative. It was nice to see him happy and as he always has, his competitive side was showing. I am very sad to see this happen. I cannot imagine leaving 5 kids behind and I wish all the best to the family through this tough time. We lost a good person for this sport. He had so much talent and it is sad to see him go. I will always look up to him as one of the toughest competitors I have ever challenged in mountain biking.

Be thankful for every day and every breath.

Tinker

2 comments:

Mike said...

Thank you for the touching post. It's a darn shame about Steve but at least his memory lives on with all of us.

I wish all of the peace and calmness that heaven and earth have to offer to him and his family.

Roger said...

Wow,
My heart goes out to his family, and the world lost and excellent competitor.
Life is so short...Tell your loved ones every day that you love them!!
He will be riding with all from above forever!!!
My deepest sympathy to his family,
Roger